While many men and women associate wrinkles with aging, there is actually a wide variety of causes behind these lines and creases on the face. People of all ages may experience wrinkling, whether as a result of environmental factors, natural facial expressions, or even sleep habits. Combating wrinkles goes far beyond BOTOX® Cosmetic. For our Fort Myers and Naples patients, we apply a unique approach to treatment to provide a lasting solution.
Here is an overview of the most common types of wrinkles, what causes them, and how we can most effectively treat them.
Dynamic Expression Lines
- Cause: These lines are formed by repeated facial expressions such as frowning. The most common examples include laugh lines, glabellar lines between the eyebrows, and crow’s feet around the outer corners of the eyes.
- Treatments: BOTOX is the most effective treatment since it relaxes the specific muscles that cause these repeated expressions. Dermal fillers such as JUVÉDERM® may also help fill in deeply etched lines for a smoother appearance.
- Cause: Environmental factors such as sun exposure, cigarette smoke, and air pollution can etch surface-level creases into the skin.
- Treatments: Chemical peels and laser skin rejuvenation with our Lumenis® CO2 Lasers can remove the damaged outer layer of the skin and reveal a healthy new layer of cells.
- Cause: Over time, collagen wears out, causing a loss of volume under the skin. This leads to sagging, laxity, and the formation of wrinkles.
- Treatments: Ultherapy® uses ultrasound waves to stimulate collagen production, naturally tightening skin. Dermal fillers can also help restore volume and support drooping areas.
- Cause: These parallel vertical lines above the eyebrows are caused by the age-related loss of collagen and fat in the area.
- Treatments: BOTOX can soften the appearance of these lines by relaxing the muscles that cause furrowing of the eyebrows.
- Cause: When you sleep on your side or your stomach, you may be “pressing” creases into your face, such as nasolabial folds.
- Treatments: Dermal fillers can fill in these wrinkles to smooth out the skin.
While the development of some age-related wrinkling is unavoidable, you can protect your skin from outside factors and additional damage.
Essential steps include wearing SPF daily, quitting or avoiding smoking, sleeping on your back, and investing in quality skincare products. Our practice offers SkinCeuticals® and SkinMedica® product lines, which effectively help reverse visible effects of sun and environmental damage.
To see real patient results after various skin rejuvenation treatments, please browse our before-and-after photo gallery.
If you would like to learn more about wrinkle treatments such as BOTOX, please contact us online or call (239) 262-5662 to request a personal consultation.
Leave a Reply