More and more men over 40 in the Naples and Fort Myers area are choosing procedures such as liposuction and CoolSculpting® to shape up their “dad bods” and help them feel more confident than ever going shirtless at the beach. Body contouring surgery is on the rise among men, and liposuction, in particular, was second only to BOTOX® as the most sought-after cosmetic treatment in a recent survey of surgeons.
The most common areas of concern on a “dad bod” include:
- Love Handles
- Double Chin
Body contouring provides targeted fat loss in each of these areas. Both surgical and nonsurgical approaches can help men achieve a slimmer, more sculpted look they’ll be proud to flaunt. The option best suited for you depends on the size and quantity of the areas you want to address, along with the recovery time you’re ready to take on.
Liposuction removes fat tissue through a surgical procedure. The patient best suited for liposuction is someone close to their ideal weight who is looking to sculpt isolated areas of fat on their body, or several areas at once.
Pros of Liposuction:
- The results are noticeable and immediate. With this approach, you can sculpt larger areas of your body, such as your back and stomach, and see a change as soon as you recover.
- The procedure can treat multiple areas at once. Your surgeon can work on several body parts in the same surgery so you will likely only need one procedure with one recovery period.
Cons of Liposuction:
- It is an invasive procedure, so you will need either deep IV sedation or epidural anesthesia with IV sedation, depending on the extent of the surgery.
- You will have some downtime and recovery. You can typically expect to be away from work for 1 to 7 days, again depending on how intensive your procedure is.
A popular nonsurgical alternative to liposuction is CoolSculpting, which is most effective on patients who have smaller, more specific areas of fat they would like to address. It sometimes requires multiple treatments, but is a less invasive method and typically causes minimal, if any, discomfort.
Pros of CoolSculpting:
- There is no recovery downtime. You can return to your normal activities immediately, and you won’t have any incisions to look after.
- It is performed with no anesthesia. Since this approach is minimally invasive, your doctor shouldn’t need to deliver any form of anesthetic.
Cons of CoolSculpting:
- Results can take a few months to fully develop. It may be around 3 months before you’ll be able to see the full effect of the procedure.
- It may require multiple visits. It is common for patients to book 2 appointments for each targeted area, spaced weeks to months apart.
If you’re interested in body contouring through plastic surgery options such as liposuction or medspa treatments such as CoolSculpting in Naples and Fort Myers, please contact us to request an appointment.
To learn more about other procedures men often consider, please visit our For Men page.