We are all concerned about the spread of COVID-19 (also known as the Coronavirus) being reported in the media and how it may impact us here in Southwest Florida and at Aesthetic Plastic Surgery and Med Spa of Naples. Our patients’ health and well being are always the top priority in our practice. There have been no reported cases of exposure to the Coronavirus in our practice, patients and staff. We are currently following steps that the CDC has recommended.
Our practice is taking several steps to keep patients safe such as employing hospital-level infection control procedures that are designed to address even more resistant organisms than the Coronavirus. These practices are designed to protect both patients and healthcare professionals. These precautions include:
- Hand hygiene.
- Use of personal protective equipment (e.g., gloves, masks, eyewear).
- Respiratory hygiene/cough etiquette.
- Sharps safety (engineering and work practice controls).
- Safe injection practices (i.e., aseptic technique for parenteral medications).
- Sterile instruments and devices.
- Clean and disinfected environmental surfaces.
In addition, we are screening all patients prior to their arrival in our office for any appointment by asking if they have or recently have had a cough, sore throat, or fever, or if they have had contact with anyone who has had these symptoms within the past 14 days. If the patient has been tested or if he or she is awaiting the results of testing, then the appointment will be rescheduled based on incubation periods per the CDC.
Furthermore, we are requiring all non-provider staff work from home, conducting daily deep-cleanings in the office as well as sanitizing walk through every hour, leaving non-essential doors open so there is no need to touch door handles. We are also staggering appointments to avoid having too many people at once in the reception area. We are asking patients to come by themselves or with only one companion for their appointments and to enter the premises exactly at the time they are scheduled for their appointment to facilitate this. Additionally, we are waiving cancellation fees, so any patient who feels slightly “off” does not feel pressure to come in for a consultation, appointment or procedure.
We want you to stay healthy and help us keep our staff as healthy as possible as we face the flu season and COVID-19. While the risk of getting COVID-19 in the United States remains low, we are taking precautions. However, we need your help, if you are sick and have any of these symptoms (sneezing, coughing, shortness of breath or a fever), please stay home, our staff will be happy to reschedule your appointment for you.
What you can do now:
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing
- Avoid handshakes
- Don’t touch your face or mouth with unwashed hands
- Stay home when you are sick if you have a fever stay at home for 24 hours without using fever-reducing medicine.
Here are some ideas that will help you boost your immunity:
- Exercise – boosts your immune system and speeds recovery from illness
- Eat healthy – balanced meals help strengthen your immune system
- Smiling & laughter – also help boost your immune system
We will continue to monitor the situation and follow the CDC recommendations, as well as what our local/state officials are recommending.
Here are some links to help keep you informed:
Florida Department of Health: http://www.floridahealth.gov
Kent V. Hasen, M.D.
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon