While the overwhelming majority of patients I see for body contouring procedures such as liposuction at my Naples practice pursue the procedure to target stubborn pockets of fat, I still like to remind them that these procedures are not intended for weight loss — nor are they appropriate for patients who are significantly overweight. Large volume fat reduction is a tricky procedure, and its results are often short-lived. Real, lasting weight loss almost always requires a major lifestyle adjustment.
Instead, body contouring surgery is meant to address smaller pockets of fat throughout the body that can be very difficult to reduce through diet and exercise alone. Genetics, hormones, and uncontrollable factors can all contribute to fat accumulation, and people who are very bothered by these lumps and bulges are generally the ones who can benefit the most from body contouring. At my practice, I offer the following options:
- Tummy tuck: One of the most popular options for body contouring, tummy tuck surgery, also known as abdominoplasty, flattens and tones the abdomen by removing excess fat and skin. I take this procedure one step further by using a method that doesn’t require surgical drains or pain pumps.
- Liposuction: This versatile option can be performed on larger areas of the body, such as the thighs, or smaller, more specific areas, such as the chin and neck. Liposuction removes fat, not skin, so it’s better for patients who don’t show significant skin laxity.
- Arm, body, and thigh lift: These “lift” procedures go one step beyond liposuction by also addressing the common concern of excess skin. Arm, body, and thigh lifts remove loose skin and redrape the remaining skin for a smooth, natural-looking contour.
- CoolSculpting®: This non-surgical option safely freezes targeted fat cells, causing them to die and naturally get flushed from the body. CoolSculpting can trim inches from the abdomen, hips, and thighs.
- Vanquish™: Another non-surgical option, Vanquish uses radiofrequency energy to kill fat cells without harming nearby tissues. Vanquish is a comfortable procedure that doesn’t require anesthesia or recovery time.