It’s no secret that pregnancy changes your body. Some of these changes resolve on their own, and others require a little extra help. A mommy makeover combines a suite of procedures that can restore your pre-pregnancy body—or even sculpt and contour a new and improved figure.
Before booking a mommy makeover, though, there’s plenty to know about the procedure and recovery that will help you prepare. Despite its whimsical nickname, a mommy makeover is a major surgical procedure that can take between 3 to 5 hours. Knowing what to expect is essential.
1. All mommy makeovers are not the same: Even though the core procedures of a mommy makeover address the abdominal area and breasts, there are endless variations to what the surgery might include. Most mommy makeovers include a tummy tuck, a breast lift with or without implants, and liposuction. You might also want to include labiaplasty or Votiva, a nonsurgical vaginal rejuvenation treatment. Your procedure might also include med spa treatments.
2. You’ll walk hunched over for a few days: In the first days following your abdominoplasty, you can expect to feel tightness in the abdomen. To avoid putting strain on the sutures, you’ll need to walk slowly and with a slight micro-bend at the hips. You should periodically take short walks around your house to boost blood circulation.
3. The shape and position of your breasts will change for a few months: If you combine breast implants with a breast lift, your breasts will initially sit high on your chest. The implants settle into a more natural position as the tissue and skin soften and relax. Many women notice this happening after about 3 weeks. In some cases, though, this process can take up to 6 months.
4. It helps to have a recliner: Getting in and out of bed after a mommy makeover can be challenging during the first 1 or 2 weeks of recovery. Resting and sleeping in a recliner makes it much easier to get up and minimizes the strain on the abdominal wall and your incision.
5. Get used to a compression garment: Wearing this tight-fitting, Spanx®-like garment on your abdomen for 6 weeks following your surgery reduces swelling, promotes healing, and helps get the best possible results of a tummy tuck.
6. Surgical drains may not be necessary: In my practice, I perform progressive tension abdominoplasty. This approach includes a suturing technique that prevents fluid accumulation and eliminates the need for post-surgical drains, unless we perform liposuction with the tummy tuck.
7. Your C-section scar may look better: It’s safe to have a mommy makeover even if you delivered a baby via C-section once you’ve healed completely. I can often improve the appearance of the C-section scar as part of a tummy tuck.
8. You should be finished having children: Getting pregnant after a mommy makeover is possible, but the physical impact of pregnancy may undo the results of your procedure. It’s best to make sure you don’t plan to have children in the future before scheduling a mommy makeover.
A Few of Our Mommy Makeover Transformations:
If you’d like to discuss your mommy makeover options with a board-certified plastic surgeon, you can request a consultation at our plastic surgery practice in Naples using the online form or by calling (239) 262-5662 to schedule an appointment.