Laser skin treatments work wonders for resurfacing and rejuvenation, as well for hair removal. If you are considering a laser treatment, there are a few things you should consider before your procedure:
- Choose a board-certified plastic surgeon that has extensive experience with lasers. An experienced doctor will be able to recommend the best laser for your skin type and concerns.
- Don’t request that your doctor only use a specific laser for your treatment. Rather, allow your doctor to choose a treatment that will address your skin issues best.
- I’m sure you worked hard on your tan this summer; however, you should wait for it to fade prior to undergoing a laser treatment. Whether your tan is from a bottle or the sun, laser light is attracted to the pigment in the skin. The darker you are, the greater your chance of having complications.
- Check your state laws prior to your procedure to see who is legally capable of administering your laser treatment. In some states, a physician assistant can administer your treatment, while in others states only a medical doctor can legally do so.
- Be realistic about your expectations. While laser treatments are great for skin resurfacing and rejuvenation, they are not a cure-all beauty treatment and should not be considered a substitute for surgery.
- Plan accordingly for your treatment. Some lasers require you to avoid sun exposure, while others may cause swelling and redness. If you are having your treatment prior to a big event, such as a wedding or vacation, make sure you give your skin enough time to recover.
If you are a Naples resident who is considering a laser skin treatment, our friendly and caring staff at Aesthetic Plastic Surgery of Naples is happy to address any of your concerns. Our office has a variety of lasers available for both the face and body to ensure that you have the best treatment for your skin.
To Your Health & Beauty,
Kent V. Hasen, M.D.