Kent V. Hasen, MD: Aesthetic Plastic Surgery & Med Spa of Naples
3699 Airport Pulling Road North
Naples, FL 34105
Phone: (239) 262-5662
Monday-Friday: 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
The family of Restylane products is made up of injectable dermal fillers made with various formulations of a crystal-clear, biocompatible hyaluronic acid gel. All contain soothing lidocaine and are FDA approved for injection into the skin in tiny amounts using a very fine needle. With options like Restylane® Silk for the lips and Restylane® Lyft for the cheeks, we can provide a range of improvements instantly with no downtime. The entire Restylane family is popular with our Naples-Fort Myers patients.
If you are considering enhancing the look of your face in Naples-Fort Myers, a Restylane product may be just what you’re looking for. Call us at (239) 262-5662 today to schedule your personal consultation, or request an appointment online at Aesthetic Plastic Surgery & Med Spa of Naples. Restylane — no surgery, no downtime, no wrinkles.
How Long Do They Last?
- Restylane products are typically long-lasting, although their longevity depends on factors such as where in the face they are added.
- Restylane-L can last anywhere between 6 and 12 months.
- In a study, 76% of patients who underwent a treatment with Restylane Silk reported that they still noticed their results after 6 months.
- The results of Restylane Lyft can last for more than 1 year.
- Unlike permanent treatments, such as a facelift or implants, Restylane always offers the chance to re-evaluate once the initial effect has worn off.
- A follow-up treatment can be performed at any time after the previous treatment. In general, a follow-up treatment is required after about a year.
- Clinical experience indicates that regular follow-up treatments add to the longevity of results.
Who May Use Restylane Products?
- Men and women who wish to improve the size and shape of their lips
- People who would like a non-surgical option for filling in wrinkles or areas of lost volume
- People who are not allergic to lidocaine
Filler treatments are customized, and invididual results may vary. However, you may experience one or more of the following improvements:
- Restylane products produce immediate results that are long-lasting, natural-looking, and gentle on skin
- Depending on the patient’s goals, Restylane Silk can create fuller or more well-defined lips with fewer wrinkles
- Restylane-L fills in wrinkles and creates a smoother, more consistent appearance
- Both Restylane-L and Restylane Silk may be used to fill in tear troughs that create dark circles beneath the eyes
- Restylane Lyft may be used to add volume to depressed or hollow-looking cheeks
- Restylane-L, Restylane Lyft, Restylane® Refyne, and Restylane® Defyne fill in lines and folds around the mouth such as nasolabial folds and marionette lines
- When applied to scars and depressed areas, Restylane-L creates even results and greatly diminishes their appearance
- Dr. Hasen or Brandie, his physician assistant, begins by prepping and cleaning the treatment area. Then, using a very small needle, he or she injects the Restylane into the dermal layer of the skin. Because Restylane products contain numbing agents, most patients do not require a topical anesthetic.
Recuperation and Healing
- After the injections, the treated areas will likely remain red and slightly swollen for several hours
- The treated areas may feel firm to the touch, but lumps and bumps are usually not visible
- Most patients return to work and other daily activities immediately after treatment
In this video from Fox 4, working mom Emily shares her experience after being treated by Dr. Hasen at his Naples plastic surgery clinic.
Frequently Asked Questions About Restylane Products
What is hyaluronic acid?
Hyaluronic acid is a natural substance that is found throughout your body. It gives volume to the skin, lubricates the joints, and gives the eyes their shape. The hyaluronic acid in Restylane is stabilized for long duration and is not of animal or human origin.
How was Restylane developed?
After many years of research, Dr. Bengt Ågerup and the company Q-Med in Uppsala, Sweden, succeeded in developing a way of using a non-animal, stabilized hyaluronic acid to replace the loss of volume in the skin. The first application, Restylane, was launched in 1996. Before this, only collagen made from cowhide and hyaluronic acid made from rooster combs had been available.
Restylane-L was developed to reduce discomfort during injection. It received FDA approval in 2010 and is now widely used. Restylane Silk and Restylane Lyft were approved in 2015.
How is treatment performed?
During treatment, the crystal-clear Restylane gel is injected into the skin in tiny amounts with a very fine needle. The gel produces volume under the wrinkle, which is lifted up and smoothed out. When enhancing lips or facial contours, Restylane Silk adds volume and shape to the treated area.
How long will the treatment session take?
Treatment with any Restylane product is a very quick and easy process. As no pre-test is needed, the treatment can be carried out immediately. A treatment generally takes 30 minutes. The time differs somewhat, depending on the correction you wish to have performed.
What can be treated?
Restylane-L can be used for smoothing out folds and wrinkles, lip enhancement, and shaping facial contours. The most common areas are the glabellar lines (between the eyebrows), and the nasolabial folds (from the root of the nose to the angle of the mouth). Restylane Silk is intended specifically for the lips. Very superficial or very deep wrinkles may be difficult to correct. Both products can also be used to fill in tear troughs beneath the eyes. Restylane Lyft is used to add volume to the cheeks and nasolabial folds. Restylane Refyne smooths away lines and folds around the mouth, and is flexible enough to allow the mouth to move naturally. Restylane Defyne, made for deeper folds around the mouth, is also flexible.
Does it hurt?
Thanks to the addition of lidocaine in Restylane products, most people find the injections relatively painless. A mild pinch may be felt, but this is usually well tolerated. If you like, an additional topical anesthetic can be applied to the area being treated prior to your procedure.
How soon will I see the results?
Your results will develop immediately.
What will I look like after the treatment?
Immediately after the treatment, you can expect slight redness, swelling, tenderness, or an itching sensation in the treated area. This is a normal result of the injection. The discomfort is temporary and generally disappears in a few days. After a lip treatment, the lips may become swollen and look somewhat uneven. This can persist for a few days or up to a week. If discomfort continues, please contact us.
How will my skin look without follow-up treatments?
The correction will gradually disappear until your skin looks like it did before the treatment. Follow-up injections will help you maintain the correction.
What should I bear in mind after a Restylane treatment?
During the first 48 hours after your treatment, do not massage or rub the treated area. If you have had a lip enhancement, avoid puckering your lips for the first two days after the treatment. Until the initial swelling and redness is gone, do not expose the treated area to intense heat (e.g. in a solarium or by sunbathing) or extreme cold.
Are there any side effects?
The rate of reactions to Restylane is very low. However, after the treatment, some common injection-related reactions may occur, such as swelling, redness, pain, itching, discoloration, and tenderness at the injection site. These typically resolve within a few days after injection into the skin and within a week after the injection into the lips. Other types of reactions are very rare, but about 1 in 2,000 treated patients have experienced localized reactions thought to be of a hypersensitive nature. These have usually consisted of swelling at the injection site, sometimes affecting the surrounding tissues. Redness, tenderness, and rarely acne-like formations have been reported. These reactions have either started a few days after the injection or after a delay of 2 to 4 weeks and have generally been described as mild to moderate and self-limiting with an average duration of 2 weeks.
Can people with allergies of different kinds be more sensitive to Restylane?
Unless the patient is allergic to lidocaine, Restylane products should not cause an allergic reaction. However, all known allergies and drug reactions should be discussed with the doctor prior to treatment.
Why do the lips sometimes become very swollen immediately after a Restylane Silk treatment?
The cause of this is not known, but there is no reason to believe that this is an immunological reaction. Normally, the swelling is gone within a week after injection into the lips.
Can Restylane replace surgical procedures?
No, but Restylane can be used in conjunction with surgery to fill out wrinkles that cannot be removed by surgery.
Can I use Restylane if I have undergone a laser treatment or chemical peel?
If you have recently had some other kind of facial treatment, it is recommended that you wait until the treated area is totally healed and the skin has normalized (usually 4 to 6 weeks) before you undergo a Restylane treatment.
Does Restylane get stiffer in cold weather? What happens in the sun?
You should not expose the treated area to intense temperatures of any kind for the first few days after the treatment in order to avoid the risk of inflammation. However, once Restylane has integrated into the body, it will adjust to your normal body temperature.
What should I think about before I have a Restylane treatment?
Look at yourself in the mirror and think about the result you are expecting. Try to convey your expectations to Dr. Hasen or Brandie before the treatment and ask him or her if it is possible.