Skin Cancer Reconstruction
Who Is a Good Candidate?
- Patients who have skin cancer on their face or neck.
- Patients who have had history of skin cancers.
- Patients with severe sun damage.
If you are seriously considering reconstructive surgery and you live near our Naples office, we invite you to contact us for more information or to schedule your consultation. Be sure to register online for a special consultation savingsconsultation savings.
- Local with IV sedation or general anesthesia can be used and it takes about one to three hours depending on the size and location.
- If the wound edges cannot be closed together, local tissue skin flaps or skin grafts can usually cover the wounds.
- You can go home after a few hours.
- You can shower on the second day after surgery.
- Minimal pain that is mostly gone by the second or third day and easily controlled by medications.
- Swelling is mild to moderate for the first week, and rapidly disappears thereafter.
- Minimal bruising which is most at two days then disappears rapidly by seven to ten days.
- Incision care consists of cleaning with peroxide and applying antibiotic ointment.
- Resume many activities within the first week, and most by three weeks.
- Stitches removed first between seven and ten days.
- Natural reconstruction of the defect is always the goal.
- A presentable appearance at the end of the first week that continues to improve over the next three to six months.