Ear Reshaping (Otoplasty)
Who Is a Good Candidate?
- Patients who are self-conscious about their protruding ears.
- Patients whose ears do not have natural creases or curves.
- Patients with small or constricted appearing ears.
If you are seriously considering otoplasty (ear surgery) and you live near our Naples office, we invite you to contact us for more information or to schedule your consultation. Be sure to register online for a special consultation savingsconsultation savings.
- Local or general anesthesia can be used and it takes about one to two hours.
- Incision is usually on the back of the ear to expose the ear cartilage.
- The cartilage is then reshaped and sutured in place to create the natural fold and decrease the prominence.
- Occasionally, a piece of cartilage is removed either from the posterior incision or from an incision inside the ear.
- This can be combined with many other cosmetic surgeries especially nose reshaping to bring better balance to your facial features.
Click thumbnails below for larger view or click here for more cases on Otoplasty
The before and after pictures above depict ACTUAL PATIENTS of Naples Plastic Surgeon Dr. Kent V. Hasen. Your results may vary.
- You can go home after several hours.
- The head is wrapped in gauze dressing to help with the healing and molding of the ears.
- After a few days the bulky gauze dressing is removed and a headband can be worn.
- Most patients experience minimal pain that is mostly gone by the second or third day and is easily controlled by medications.
- Swelling is mild to moderate for the first week, and rapidly disappears thereafter.
- The ears may throb or ache for a few days.
- Resume many activities within the first week, and most by the third week.
- Stitches are removed between seven and ten days.
- Off of work for three to five days.
- Better balance of the facial features.
- More natural curvature of the ears.
- Improved look.