Breast Implant Revision
When a woman wants to exchange her breast implants or is unsatisfied with her breast augmentation results, breast implant revision in Naples with Dr. Kent V. Hasen can help. Dr. Hasen has been trained in reconstructive surgery and offers revision procedures for women who want or need extra help achieving the look they want from their initial breast augmentation.
If you have had breast augmentation in Florida and need breast implant revision, Dr. Hasen is available to meet with you. Contact us for more information or to schedule your consultation. Be sure to register online for a special consultation savingsspecial consultation savings.
Dr. Hasen is one of only a handful of surgeons offering both surgical and non-surgical options for breast augmentation revision.
Reasons for Breast Implant Revision
Breast revision surgery may be an option if you are experiencing problems with your breast implants, if you wish to change the implant type or size, or if you are unhappy with the aesthetic results. Some common complications Dr. Hasen sees in his office include:
- Capsular contracture: This is a fairly common problem among patients seeking breast implant revision near Fort Myers, Florida. It occurs when excess scar tissue forms around the implant, causing the breast to become hard or distorted in shape. To correct this problem, Dr. Hasen offers an innovative non-surgical breast revision procedure using external ultrasound. In more advanced cases, surgical revision with removal of the scar tissue and replacement with a new implant may be advised.
- "Double Bubble": When implants are placed improperly, the breast tissue may descend over the breast implant, or the implant may hang below the actual breast, creating the appearance of two breast creases. In this situation, Dr. Hasen may recommend replacement and repositioning of the breast implants.
- "Bottoming Out": If gravity causes the implant to move lower in the breast pocket, and the pocket is not strong enough to support the implant, then "bottoming out" may occur. This is usually the result of over-dissection of the pocket during surgery or from an overactive chest muscle when the implants are placed below the muscle. The breasts may seem to hang too low while the nipples remain high. Dr. Hasen might suggest using Strattice™ to hold the breast up and support the implant.
- Ruptured Implants: Both silicone and saline implants can rupture for a number of reasons. Although implant rupture is not dangerous, it does cause visible deformities such as deflation. Dr. Hasen normally performs breast implant replacement using silicone gel implants, which are more cohesive than earlier silicone breast implants used in augmentation procedures in Fort Myers.
Surgical Revision Options
Breast implant revision surgery is a complex procedure. Scar tissue, thinned skin and changes in the chest anatomy all pose challenges to the surgeon. Only a surgeon with strong technical skills like Dr. Hasen's can restore a natural appearance. During your procedure, Dr. Hasen may incorporate several techniques to ensure the most successful outcome.
Strattice is a dermal graft made from porcine (pig) tissue. It is used to reinforce natural breast tissue and support the implant. This helps create a smoother, more normal-looking breast and reduces implant migration within the breast pocket. Dr. Hasen often uses Strattice for patients who have experienced implant rippling, implant displacement, bottoming out or capsular contracture.
Click thumbnails below for larger view or click here for more cases on
Breast Implant Exchange/Revision
The before and after pictures above depict ACTUAL PATIENTS of Naples Plastic Surgeon Dr. Kent V. Hasen. Your results may vary.
With implant replacement, Dr. Hasen caters to a woman's changing aesthetic preference, allowing her to choose a different implant style or size. Implant replacement may also be used to restore a normal shape when implant rupture occurs.
Complications that arise from breast augmentation, such as capsular contracture, sometimes can be treated without surgery. Dr. Kent V. Hasen offers a groundbreaking technique known as Aspen External Ultrasound or Aspen After Surgery Procedure. This procedure is recommended for women whose implants have hardened because of scar tissue growth. It can help with correcting high riding implants and painful implants as well. It is usually part of an overall treatment plan that includes compression wrapping, massage techniques and external ultrasound treatments.
What is Capsular Contracture?
Capsular contracture is a condition that results when scar tissue grows around a breast implant, causing the breast to harden. The excess scar tissue may cause deformities in the implant's appearance or force the implant into a different location, usually pushing it up to a higher level. Capsular contracture can also cause pain in the affected breast. Women who notice a change in the softness of their breasts or in breast position should contact Dr. Hasen immediately for an accurate diagnosis.
Some warning signs of capsular contracture include:
- Firmer breasts
- Abnormal or distorted appearance
- Breast hardening around the implant
- Breast pain
How Does Aspen External Ultrasound Help?
Aspen External Ultrasound generates a computer-controlled delivery of ultrasonic energy to the affected area. Unlike other ultrasound systems, which are smaller in size and only "spot treat" a small area of tissue, the Aspen device is able to cover almost the entire breast. Therefore, the ultrasound waves are better able to treat the whole implant capsule.
The ultrasound energy helps loosen the breast tissue so that blood can circulate around the implant capsule, thereby softening any scar tissue that may be hardening. Antibiotics may also be used to fight infection around the implant, which is believed to lead to the development of capsular contracture. Compression wrapping and massaging of the breast compliment the ultrasound to help soften the feel of the implant, relieve the breast pain and correct the position of the affected breast.
The before and after pictures above depict ACTUAL PATIENTS of Aspen Rehabilitation. Your results may vary.
What Can I Expect?
Therapy with ultrasound takes about half an hour. During this time, Dr. Hasen's ultrasound technician will administer a series of undetectable ultrasound treatments. Depending on the case, he may use other techniques, such as pocket expansion or implant scar mobilization, to assist with healing. Dr. Hasen usually recommends that his patients wear a compression garment or bandage for several weeks after the treatment.
Is It Right for Me?
Non-surgical breast implant revision is not for everyone. A consultation with Dr. Hasen will determine whether this procedure can work for you. In more severe cases, breast implant revision surgery may be needed to achieve the best cosmetic result.